JOIN US MAY 2 -12, 2021 - IN YOUR NEIGHBORHOOD
What if everyone in our community could have equal access to food that nourishes, creates good jobs, is affordable, and treats the earth well as it is produced? We believe it’s possible. That’s why we walk. Share the vision, walk with us.
By walking and raising funds you will support Access of West Michigan plus 13 additional local organizations working to create a Good Food System for everyone in our community!
WE’VE GOT FOOD ISSUES
West Michigan is brimming with food assistance organizations, but our community continues to acknowledge “hunger” as a constant threat to children, families, and seniors. For the last four decades, emergency food providers have been the main response to hunger and food insecurity. But a charity food system focused on things like “security” and “relief” cannot address deep injustice in the food system, remedy health disparities, or grow community-driven solutions. We need a new approach.
WHAT IS A GOOD FOOD SYSTEM?
Access envisions a thriving community where all residents have access to healthy and affordable local food. Good Food Systems approach this vision by investing finances and relational capital into our local food economy, growing health equity to reduce health disparities, and supporting community power. Good Food, as defined by the Michigan Good Food Charter, is food that is fair – no one along the supply chain was exploited for its creation, green – it was produced in an environmentally sustainable manner, healthy – it provides nourishment and enables people to thrive, and affordable – all people have access to it.
HOW DO YOU GET INVOLVED?
As COVID continues to impact our community, we have made the decision to host a virtual walk again this year. This means households are encouraged to walk in their neighborhoods following CDC and local health department guidelines! You can do your walk anytime between May 2 and May 12. Follow along via Access’ social media (Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter) using #Walk4GoodFood. We encourage creativity! Here’s how it works:
- Sign up as an individual or as part of a team
- Stay tuned for information on picking up your walk registration packet curbside.
- Walkers and teams can walk in whatever way fits: The Walk is historically a 5K so we encourage walkers and teams to find a route that matches that- either all at once or split up over multiple days.
- All walkers are encouraged to fundraise support for their walk! You can create a fundraising page online when you register. If you do not want to fundraise online, you can pick up an envelope to collect donations from your family, friends, and community or direct them to mail in donations to Access: 1700 28th St SE, GR 49508.
- Your business or organization can also sponsor the walk
Thank you 2021 Walk For Good Food Sponsors!
Andy J. Egan Co., Inc.
The Local Church
Fifth Third Bank
East Brook Homes
WMIB Inc., Biggby Coffee
The People's Farm LLC
Field and Fire Bakery and Café
Tim and Christina Swiney
Ambrose at WMCAT
Nutcase Vegan Meats
Walker, Fluke, & Sheldon, PLC
WALK FOR GOOD FOOD 2020 PHOTO GALLERY
For more information Contact Alaina Dobkowski at email@example.com